8.06.2006

The Bitter End?

There was no hangover from last night's 11-inning defeat as the Giants were able to avoid a sweep with a 6-2 victory behind seven strong innings from Matt Cain. Despite the win, Giants fans are becoming noticeably bitter. The lifers from the 'Stick are back and not completely obscured by the new era of the "hey can you see me on TV, I'm waving and holding an import" cell phone guy, writes Ray Ratto. Normally I wouldn't invest two quarters into anything Ray Ratto has to say, but the recent losing streak and loathesome quality of this particular team has really brought out the "best" in Giants fans.

I was in attendance for the Bonds-Kulpa rumble on Friday, and I have to admit that it has been a long time since I have seen Giants fans so angry, so rabid, so loud, and in such unison; I can't recall an event that could compare with such outrage, but I bet that if every Giants fan went to Candlestick on the day that Matt Williams was traded, and Brian Sabean was standing on the pitcher's mound, the cacophony would be similar. The bitter bug has bitten me as well. I was lustily booing the incompetence of Ron Kulpa, although I didn't litter the field. Today I even found myself hoping that Vinnie Chulk would give up a couple of runs so I would be granted the opportunity to boo Armando "Big Papi" Benitez. I can only get so much satisfaction from writing and reading scathing criticisms of him, and waving my middle finger at the TV every time he enters a game. Nonetheless, Chulk was solid, the Giants won, and I still left a little disappointed. My only legitimate gripe is why didn't any fan throw something at hot-hitting, Giant-killing Yorvit Torrealba? He has now entered the "For Some Inexplicable Reason I Just Hit Well Against the Giants" club, pioneered by Steve Finley (current Giant, thank god), Chipper Jones (link is to his personal site, HIGHLY recommended), and Eric Karros.

Speaking of the former Dodger Karros, I found some decent entertainment in MLB's Hometown Hero campaign. Let the arguments begin. I was shocked that Karros or Hideo Nomo didn't make the cut for the Dodgers. Seriously. I guess that Mays will win the vote, but I'd pick Bonds because I never saw the Say Hey Kid in person.

Unfortunately, there was no incident between Jose Mesa and Omar Vizquel. The two have a long and hairy history. If Vizquel's body is found floating in McCovey Cove, I think we'll know who the top suspect is.

I think it is safe to say that this is the least selling poster of all-time.

OK, enough of the Mando-bashing. The Giants start an important road trip through Arizona, LA and San Diego before returning home to take on the Dodgers. It's safe to say that if the ship is ever going to be righted, it has to start here.

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree on the Chipper Jones website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home