9.21.2006

Counting Down the Days

What, you may be wondering, are the chances that this version of black and orange play in October? Let me give you the answer: 100%. Don't get too excited; the Giants close the season out on October 1 against the Dodgers at home--not exactly the October we San Franciscans hope for. But while this season may be lost, at least the Giants saved face last night by avoiding a grotesque sweep at the hands of the Rockies.

More news on the whole steriod source saga. I am still conflicted about this whole thing. At the moment, I am reading Game of Shadows and remain at heart confused. Initially, I was tearing through the thing like a Swimsuit Issue but now am slowly coming to the depressing conclusion. While the book is exceptionally researched, the writing is only so-so and you can lose interest quickly unless you have something more than just a story invested in the book--something like all the recent great memories of your career as a Giants fan. As dishonest and immoral it is for ballplayers to take steroids, I saw some unbelieveable things in the last six years as a Giants fan, for instance the team actually appearing in a World Series. I don't care how many players were juicing that season, the feeling of leaving a rockin' Pac Bell Park after a 16-4 victory over the Angels in Game 5 will never have an asterisk near it for me. I enjoyed every single one of Bonds' bombs, even to this very day. Does that make me a steroid apologist? Supporter? I don't pretend that Bonds didn't cheat; the evidence is between extremely overwhelming and there isn't a chance in hell he didn't take performance-enhancing drugs. But just because Barry lacks morals does it have to tarnish every fond memory I have as a Giants fan? I say no, and reserve the right to still cheer him. I can't just rescind every memory Bonds has created for me (trust me, the list is extensive). Of course, I don't condone his illegal actions. See what I mean? Confusing.

Things right now aren't that confusing: the Giants must win nearly every game from here on out or the season is done. Even so, it may be anyway. They take on the Brewers tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home